These comprise Specular Reflection Quality, which enables users to both enhance the resolution of and reduce instances of aliasing in specular reflections. This will come at a performance cost, but we’ll have to see just what the knock-on effect is in some performance benchmarks. Joining this is the new option to disable Screen Effects. That relates to the film grain which was layered over Rise of the Tomb Raider. Removing this should lead to a cleaner image.
That’s not all of course, in what is a fairly hefty list of patch notes. Nvidia SLI performance has been improved, but curiously only for those using Steam, while HBAO+ quality (An Nvidia GameWorks feature) has been improved, including enhanced occlusion for distant objects.
Below are the complete patch notes, as written by Nixxes.
Rise of the Tomb Raider February 5 Patch Notes:
Startup issues (Steam Only):
- Fixed C++ runtime error showing up on startup preventing some users from running the game.
- Provided work-around for issue where the VC++ redist would not properly get installed, stopping the game from starting at all.
- Solved problem where the game would crash on startup when tools like Bins Taskbar organizer or Spacedesk are installed.
Updated options screen with among other things:
- Independent mouse sensitivity control for aim and regular navigation.
- Mouse and Gamepad X axis inversion
- Option to disable keyboard button prompts.
- Option to disable mouse smoothing (very light mouse smoothing is present otherwise)
Other fixes included in this patch:
- A variety of fixes and improvements to UI including map, basecamps, and Remnant Resistance mode.
- New graphics option 'Specular Reflection Quality' to enhance resolution and reduce aliasing of specular reflections, at some performance cost.
- New graphics option to disable film-grain independently from 'Screen Effects'.
- Improved HBAO+ quality, including better occlusion for distant objects.
- Improved NVIDIA SLI performance. (Steam only)
- Fixed SLI glitches during water/snow effects. (Steam only)
- Resolution Modifier option that allows you to use a lower rendering resolution independent from window size when running in windowed mode.
- Performance optimization for situations where Razer Chroma features are enabled. (Steam Only)
- Improvements to Razer Chroma effects. (Steam Only)
- Fixed an issue that could rarely lead to an error on machines with 16 hardware threads or more.
- Fixed mouse cursor not always being hidden when using gamepad.
- Fixed major stuttering in Endurance mode.
- Fixes for Endurance leaderboards.
- Fixed Remnant Resistance missions occasionally not starting.
- Fixed rendering glitches on some objects on NVIDIA 6x0 and 7x0 hardware. Some issue do still happen and we are working with NVIDIA to resolve those in future patches or drivers.
- Warning messages for users turning textures to Very High or enabling SSAA to indicate high-end hardware is required.
- A variety of other smaller optimizations, bug-fixes, and tweaks.