20 October 2015
Valve Still Considering How Paid Mods Could Work On Steam
This should come as a surprise to no one, but Valve is still keen for another stab at paid mods despite the widespread backlash that erupted when they were introduced to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. The thinking was simple - Valve believed allowing the most talented modders to earn from their creations would in fact foster a stronger modding community with more polished work.
Most didn’t seem to agree with this, and it didn’t take long for Bethesda and Valve to embarrassingly backtrack and removed support entirely. Both dove for cover and let the dust settle, but now Valve’s business head Erik Johnson has said paid mods are still under consideration. Having admitted Skyrim was perhaps a step too far, encroaching on an already established community, Johnson says it’s all about what they choose to do with the model next. Johnson said that ill-fated Skyrim paid mods weekend was easily one of the worst he’s ever had during his time at Valve, admitting Valve “screwed things up in the details”. When it comes to which game they’ll try it with next, one of their own seems the logical step. “Our customers are more familiar with us and the way we work,” said Team Fortress 2 creator Robin Walker. “I think they understand our thinking.”
When questioned on whether Walker himself was pro paid mods, Johnson said he would say “I wish I had that option before I was a professional working at Valve. I wanted to pay bills and have a customer base.”
It seems paid mods are going to come back in some shape or form then. Would you ever buy any? Would a game launching with them deter you from picking it up?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment